CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, July 30, 2012

My Pleasure

I have to admit, I have not read the entire book, The First Days of School by Harry & Rosemary Wong. But the Drs. Wong say that you don't need to. They suggest you use it as car owner's manual -- and that's what I usually do. For the past three years, I've skipped around in this book and have come away with some really valuable knowledge. 


One of these pieces are:
"The Three Characteristics of an Effective Teacher
An effective teacher...
1. has positive expectations for student success.
2. is an extremely good classroom manager.
3. knows how to design lessons for student mastery." (pg 9)

My goal is to be that effective teacher... sometimes I feel like I'm close to meeting my goal, and sometimes (especially in the beginning of a new year), I'm not so sure. :)


The Drs. Wong also express the importance of greeting your students at the door to welcome them to a new day of learning. This is something that I feel like I'm GREAT at doing... for maybe the first quarter. I want to make sure I am at the door every morning this year! I love seeing their smiling faces as they see me each morning. It absolutely sets a positive tone for the day! ... Except for one thing - when they RUN down the hall at you. I hate starting the day with, "Go back and walk!" It will be a little different this year because I am going to be the last classroom in the hall, so I won't be telling students in other classes to, "go back and walk," it'll just be my own students. I'd like to make sure I say, "Good morning, Johnny. I'm so glad you're here. Go back and walk. Thank you." That way, I'm greeting him/her in a friendly manner, but they still practice walking to the classroom door. 


Having your name, room number, grade level and short message of welcome is also important on the first day. I was able to write my own letter of welcome to families that will be sent out on August 1st. In it, I told my students how to find my room. It was easy because I'm the last classroom on the right, but I told them the color of tiles outside the door, too. Hopefully, this will set my students up for success upon finding their classroom on the first day of school. 


I also LOVE how the Drs. Wong are sure to say "Thank you" after giving directions. This is something that was covered in one of my college courses as well. I find it to be effective when you do not wish to have the student argue or complain. You just give the direction and say "thank you." -- I will try to do this more this year. I will also try to include it on written directions as well. It's definitely a nice touch and leaves no room for unwanted feedback LOL!

I just skimmed the entire book, and I can't find this page, but I'm almost positive this came from The First Days of School. Maybe it is in a newer edition?
One of the other major points I've taken from this book is how to respond to "Thank you." Instead of saying "you're welcome" or "no problem," a person should respond with "my pleasure." What a difference! "No problem" totally negates what you did. "My pleasure" has such a nice ring to it.


How long has it been since you've read The First Days of School? What are your favorite things you've learned from this book?

1 comments:

Megan

I've never read the entire book either. You're not the only one! I'm a new follower. Glad I found you.

Megan
I Teach. What's Your Super Power?

Post a Comment