CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, July 20, 2012

Read Aloud Books

I don't know about all of you, but I don't enjoy reading the same book twice... And that includes my chapter book read-alouds to my students. I ALWAYS read a part of a chapter book after lunch to my students. I don't stop and ask questions. My kids just sit back and enjoy an ongoing adventure. When I taught third grade, I read Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMHTale of Despereaux, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, The City of Ember, and The People of Sparks. I can't remember the other ones. 
Last year, to my second graders, I read The Doll People, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, The Magician's Elephant, The Absent Author, My Father's Dragon, The Fairy Tale Detectives, and more that I cannot remember right now. 
Now don't get me wrong. Some books were so enjoyable, they could be repeated - My Father's Dragon. Others were perfect because it introduced the class to a series - The Absent Author. But I LOVE the feeling of discovering the book's secrets WITH my students. For example, in The Absent Author, I'll never be able to discover the author's identity again. I feel like it was so authentic when I was just as surprised as my students. 
I always let my students vote between two books I'd like to read... Sneaky. I know. LOL! 
Since I can't sleep (toooooo many Dr Peppers), I have researched some books that I would like to read... to my students. Here is list I came up with:


The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell (by Glee's Chris Colfer)
The Egypt Game (I LOVED this book when I read it myself in 5th grade)
Flat Stanley (believe it or not, I've not read this yet)
Miss Daisy is Crazy
A Mouse Called Wolf
Toys Go Out
Finn Family Mommintroll
Clementine (I had this -and Gooney Bird Greene) available for my students, but they NEVER voted for it)
The Dragon of Doom
Evangeline Mudd
Drooling and Dangerous (looks like a parody of the Wright Bros.)
Gooney Bird Greene
How to Save Your Tail
Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little


Do any of you have a similar problem reading the same books year after year? Or are the books just THAT good, that you LOVE to read them many times? What books are must-reads in your classrooms? Have you found new books that you love?

1 comments:

Rebby

I agree with you that it is a ton of fun to experience a book for the first time with your kiddos. My biggest complaint with read aloud books is that so many of them have been made into movies lately that none of my kids want to read what used to be good, fun, solid choices. I always tell them read alouds are my choice, but of course, I'll never read Despereaux or Holes again because all the kids have already seen the movie. I've tried reading these titles just to show kids that the book is usually better than the movie, but they're just not invested. I still haven't decided what I'm going to be reading aloud this year but I like some of your suggestions. :)

Rebecca
Classroom Compulsion

Post a Comment